Before any of the steps below can be done, the applicant should have an agreement with the host institution about doing the STSM
Step 1 – On-line registration by the applicant
As a very first step, please check your eligibility according to the COST rules:
“STSM applicants must be engaged in an official research programme as a PhD Student or postdoctoral fellow
or can be employed by, or affiliated to, an Institution or legal entity which has within its remit a clear association with performing research”
For more detailed information on eligibility please check the COST vademecum.
The Applicant must use the on-line registration tool to register his/her request for an STSM.
The following information has to be encoded with the registration:
- the Action number;
- the title of the planned STSM;
- the start and end date;
- the applicant’s details, including key academic details and workplan;
- the applicant’s bank details;
- the host institution’s ;
- financial data (amount for travel and subsistence). -> Please note that daily allowance is set to a maximum of 50 EUR and 300 EUR for the travel is recommended. At the first MC meeting it was decided that the total of an STSM grant shall not exceed EUR 2 000 for an STSM of three months or less.
Step 2 – Formal STSM application and annexes
After encoding the information via the on-line registration tool will issue a formal STSM application which has to be downloaded and sent by the applicant electronically (by e-mail as attachment) together with:
- motivation letter (maximum 1 page) with a very short introduction, and detailed explanation about how the STSM will contribute to the Action ES1306 aims and what will be the expected output of the STSM;
- full CV with list of publications ;
- invitation letter from the host institute
- Supporting letter from the home institution
- Please make sure to not include any other documents than those mentioned above!
- the future Host of the STSM;
- the STSM coordinator of the ES1306 Action (Tony Parsons, E-mail:email@example.com )
The complete application file (as described in the COST Vademecum), including MC approval, must be received by the Grant Holder at least four weeks before the start date of the proposed STSM.
Step 3 – Assessment of the STSM
The STSM coordinator will arrange the assessment of the STSM. The most important criterion of assessment is how effectively the STSM will contribute to the scientific aims of Action ES1306. A list of criteria which will be used to assess the STSM can be found here. In addition, preference will be given to Early Stage Researchers (ESR) to participate in the scheme. Applications will be assessed by the the STSM coordinator, the chair and the leader of the working group to which the STSM conforms most to, with the exception of anyone whose institute is involved as applicant or host in any application in order to avoid conflict of interests.
Step 4 – Approval from the Management Committee
The STSM coordinator informs the Grant Holder that the proposed STSM has been approved.
Step 5 – Cost Office Acceptance Letter (Grant Letter)
The Grant Holder will send to the Applicant an acceptance letter in which s/he is informed about:
- the approval of the STSM and;
- the level of the financial grant given.
The Applicant has to return this Grant letter, after accepting the grant with his/her signature.
After the STSM
After completion of the STSM the grantee is required to submit to the host institution and STSM coordinator a scientific report on the visit within 4 weeks after his/her stay. The STSM coordinator is responsible for approving the final report and sending the notice of completion of the STSM to the Grant Holder, with the confirmation that the STSM has been successfully accomplished and that the grant can be paid. The report must contain the following information:
- Purpose of the STSM;
- Description of the work carried out during the STSM;
- Description of the main results obtained;
- Description about how the results contribute to the Action aims (this is the most important point);
- Confirmation by the host institution of the successful execution of the STSM;
- Authorization to post the report at the Action website;
- Other comments (if any).
Publications resulting from STSM activities should acknowledge COST ES1306 support. A copy must be sent the STSM coordinator.
Further information and rules available at:
- The STSM general information page on this website
- STSM Coordinator (Anthony Parsons)
- STSM email of the action firstname.lastname@example.org